Friday, March 6, 2015

Madonna Announces Tour: Does Anybody Really Care ?

Late last week, when in passing, I mentioned to one of my long time friends that Madonna has announced a tour for 2015, he looked at me incredulously as if to say, "Your not serious". Well, truth be told, he didn't really say exactly that, it's just that I choose not to print
his exact response. But I can assure you that he just didn't care. His stare back at me seemed to be asking me why I even cared. Me, the head banging teen in the 70's when that aforementioned long time friend and I used to regularly hang out after school and share a set of Koss headphones arguing as to whether Ritchie Blackmore or Jimmie Page had the better riffs ( Mom didn't care for either, hence the headphones). So I told my friend that it was indeed a big deal. Now, I also said that I'm still not a big Madonna fan. Or I should say, not a big Madonna music fan. Never was. In fact, I'm not a fan of any dance club music starting from when I disliked disco in the 70's right through to the synthpop tones of the Boy George and Culture Clubs' and the Spandau Ballets' of the 80's, to a lot of stuff passed off as "music" now.
     But then, a funny thing happened the last 35 years or so. I grew up. Really. Oh, it was slow going at first and I still don't have to like any of the music I didn't like much before or even care for the artists who performed that music. But during this "maturation stage" as I like to call it, I've come to realize that I'm not the only opinion out there. Imagine that! Honestly! There's actually other people who like music other than what I like to listen to. So then, what's changed? Why is it I can talk or write about people or musicians I didn't dare speak in a positive light previously?  Me. I changed. Or evolved might be a better word. I recognize that most of these people are talented. Really talented. I've come to realize that one man in a floppy leather hat strumming a guitar and blowing an off key sounding harmonica really can't save the world, no matter how much I believed it then.  In spite of the genre of music artists indulge in, and whether they're popular with everybody or not, or even whether I like them or not, these people are truly gifted. Taylor Swift is gifted. Eminem is gifted. Jay-Z is gifted. Usher is gifted. John Legend is gifted. I don't have one song between the lot in my music library, but I recognize that they're gifted.
    And Madonna is gifted. Really gifted. Not just because I finally admit it, but the rest of the world can't be wrong, could it? And music success, or her songs I should say, are just a fraction of what she has accomplished in her storied career. Known for constantly reinventing her music and her image, she has created controversy at every turn through imagery and lyrical content,  always pushing the envelope of what was acceptable in mainstream music and media ( Thanks a lot MTV ). She has won a Golden Globe Award for best actress (Evita). She has written children's  books. She has fashion lines for clothing, perfume, sunglasses and who knows what else.  She is recognized as the best-selling female recording artist of all time. ( Hey, 300 million people cant be wrong I guess). She's the most successful solo artist in the history of the American singles chart, the top touring female artist ever, and she was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame the very first year she was eligible. It has been said she's probably the most influential female recording artist of all time . In 2012 she was the most watched Super Bowl  halftime show ever with over 114 million viewers. The list goes beyond the scope of this blog but you already know most of it. She's also a businesswoman and an author, an actress, a philanthropist, a director, a dancer, can play multiple instruments, AND shes a mother. Now that's gifted.
     Her last tour, The MDNA Tour in 2012 has grossed $305 million for 88 sold out shows, and true to Madonna form, caused controversy because of subjects never taboo for the Queen of Pop.
    So here we are in 2015, Madonna announces a world tour and is due to release her 13th studio album,  Rebel Heart. So does anybody really care? The numbers certainly say yes and although not as massive as the MDNA tour,I would bet this may be just as successful. To promote Rebel Heart, the world tour launches Aug. 29 at American Airlines Arena in Miami, and play North American arenas of about 25-30 shows through October, with additional dates likely to be added as certain shows sell out. They always do, so expect more to be announced. The artist will then head to the U.K. and Europe for a run of 20-25 more shows. ALL DATES AND VENUES HERE. I'm actually thinking I'll make the effort to go see the gifted Material Girl myself this time around.  But I still won't add her in my music library.